Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent…what is its purpose?

 

As I mentioned last week, our Sunday School is taken a brief break from James and looking at Advent. What is Advent and what is its purpose are the two main topics of discussion.

Advent means “approach” or “coming.”

When we celebrate and participate in Advent, we are remembering and participating in THREE “comings’ of Jesus:

1. Jesus’ coming as the infant King

2. Jesus’ coming into our heart’s as Lord & Savior

3. We stand in anticipation of the coming of Jesus’ triumphant return.

Read Psalm 46:10

Christmas when looked at through the eyes of Advent has been described as “Season of Expectant Waiting” or “Time for Pondering”

WHOA…..WAIT A MINUTE with our December calendars full even before Thanksgiving who has time to “wait” or “ponder.” Of course unless you mean:

  • Waiting in traffic
  • Waiting for a parking space
  • Waiting in Christmas lines at the store

And then this pondering….What does that even mean?

Ponder: to think or consider, especially quietly, soberly and deeply….HOLD ON A SEC….won’t that take time!

IMPORTANT: This is the exact purpose of Advent, for us to ask Jesus (the focus of Advent) to help us slow down, ponder and yes….even wait. However, our wait is with excitement that has a two-fold fulfillment:

  1. Christmas Day (The celebration of the first 2 comings we discussed) Jesus’ birth as infant King and Jesus’ coming into our hearts as Savior and Lord
  2. The coming fulfillment of Christ’s return.

Prayer:

Dear Lord, I want to be still. I want to sit in Your presence and treasure the “advents” of Jesus in my life. Carve out time during this busy & hectic season for me to immerse myself in You and Your Word. I need to be quiet, wait and ponder. Prepare my heart to understand and share what You reveal to me each and every day. Fill my heart with Your peace. In Jesus Name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment